Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Nanny or Publicist? Every Mom's Dilemma!

A loving husband/wife, two and one half children, a furry dog named Mylo, a little house in the suburbs with a white picket fence, and two compact cars equals the average household of the United States. For some, being average is just not acceptable.

Nadya Suleman, with her 14 children, is one of those people. Through her publicist Joann Killeen (who I will get to in a minute), Nadya is described as a smart, articulate, college-educated woman. Nadya’s publicist says that her client has always wanted a large family, and that she is working toward a master’s degree in counseling. She already holds a bachelor’s degree in child and adolescent development.

This lady has a publicist?!? Besides the obvious shock that a virtually unknown woman has a publicist, this fact also triggers a couple other questions in my mind.

With 14 kids to feed, clothe, and shelter, how the heck is she paying for a publicist? I guess she is really pinning her hopes on someone to offer her a book deal or for a well-paying talk show to start pounding her door down.

How does the same person go from not wanting her name released to anybody to needing a publicist to coordinate all the stuff she has going on? Obviously there were reasons in the beginning when she asked to remain anonymous; what happened there? I know everyone is entitled to change their mind, but this is like going from lavender to lime green for a wedding color!

This just goes to show that the PR field offers limitless opportunities for immersion in the job market. If you decide to throw your hat into the PR ring, you are entering into one of the vastest job markets the world has to offer. You can work for a multi-billion dollar corporation like Microsoft, with a non-profit like the United Way, for a public or private school or university system, for a celebrity, or for the person next door.

3 comments:

  1. I can see this is a popular topic this week. I wrote about her also, although you were far kinder about her intentions that I was! :)

    Obviously the PR firm she hired is doing a good job since they were quick to get the word out about her education and goals. We can't have her looking like a welfare mom if she's going to get any good book deals, can we?

    The fact she went from being anonymous to releasing a whole lot of personal information makes me think she is already pretty good at the PR game. Maybe she should go into PR herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard a lot about this lady. A single parent living with her parents yet, then to add 8 more children to the family just doenst make much sense to me. I watched the CNN coverage of this story and I really liked the old lady next door, I thought she was hilarious. I did not know that she had a publicist and that frustrates me to hear that because she cant afford her own place and she cant afford many other things and relies on her parents and yet she has a publicist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is absurd that this lady has a publicist. I think that she has other things that she should be worrying about besides getting a gig on a talk show or a book of some sort. She should be taking care of her 14 children, which I also think is too many for a single mother living at home. This lady needs to sit down and reprioritize the things in her life I think. She is going to have a very difficult time overcoming all of this I believe.

    ReplyDelete