Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Football's Losing Favre?!?

I don’t believe it; I truly don’t believe it.

No, really; I just cannot believe that Brett Favre is retiring! For someone like me who does not like sports, that name sure rings a bell…

Oh yeah, he’s the guy from last year that said he was retiring. Then we heard about him every other day because he wanted to be released from his contract. Then it turned out that he really wasn’t retiring, he just wanted to go play for a different team.

Talk about a real-life soap opera! I cannot imagine the upheaval that his family has gone through in the last two years. Moving across the country, making new friends, and learning to play with a new team must have kept them all pretty busy and stressed out.

I have to say that working for Favre is not something I would enjoy. I am sure the pay is great, but I like change and variety. I would hate having to tell the same story two years in a row. Do you think when Favre announced his plans to retire in 2009, did his publicist just have to reach into his/her file cabinet and pull out the binder from 2008?

For someone that doesn’t like to put forth a lot of effort, this would have been a great gig. Just white out where it said Packers and insert the word Jets and you’re basically done. Change a few other small details and you’ve got yourself a five-minute press release.

Okay, perhaps I’m being pretty tough on the guy. It does sound like he truly plans to retire this time. His paperwork has even been filed with the NFL, which was not done last season. He was even quoted as saying, “I really felt like it was time,” when asked if this was the real deal.

This is just another example of how even the best of publicists must be prepared for their employers to wreak havoc on their carefully ordered plan. Favre’s publicist probably had no idea he did not really plan to retire at the end of last season; they were just doing their job by getting the news out there for the fans. Then they looked like liars, which just reaffirmed what a lot of the general public feels about this field anyway.

Take heart, faithful publicist. It looks like this is the real deal this time!

1 comment:

  1. You are so right. But, maybe his publicist did know what was happening last year and it was all a big stunt to get more notice.

    This is where the public relations job has to get tough. If the public relations person didn't know Brett wasn't actually planning to retire last year, that had to be frustrating. In fact, if I were working for Brett, I would be somewhat skeptical about this year. The fact that he actually filed papers this year, makes it more believable.

    ReplyDelete